Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Dollar Tree Painted Glass Plate

IMG_5967

After I made the ‘Give Thanks’ glass plate, Summer Rae left a comment that she had seen similar plates at her local Dollar Tree and sure enough I found a whole bunch of them at one of the local Dollar Trees in my area. At $1 a piece I could afford to create a new plate for each Holiday and change of season. Be sure to visit Latasha’s blog for her Dollar Tree gift card giveaway. Hurry though because it ends soon!

IMG_5934

I started with this 10” clear glass plate.

IMG_5938

I had some vinyl lettering that I had never used that was the perfect size for the plate. The only catch was that I like to decorate the back of my plates to allow the embellishments to show through the front of the glass. This normally wouldn’t present a problem but vinyl letterings come with the adhesive on the back of the letters and I needed adhesive on the front of the letters. So instead of removing the backing of the vinyl letters, I removed the front paper. I then used spray glue to coat the front of the letters and applied them to the back of the plate. This technique worked but I was left with a lot of left over adhesive on the plate. I used glass cleaner to remove the glue once I thought the letters were secure but that didn’t work out so well. I suppose some of the glass cleaner got under the letters and a couple began to peel off. I had to reapply spray glue to the individual letters and attach each one to the plate. This is why some of the letters aren’t perfectly aligned. I am going to have to find a better technique next time.

IMG_5941

Here is the plate with the crooked letters attached. I just refused to abandon this project!

IMG_5959

IMG_5952

I added two coats of Rust-Oleum Metallic Gold Bright Coat to the back of the plate and finished it off with a coat of clear protective spray. I love this color – it is such a rich beautiful gold! I see many more future Christmas projects using this color.

IMG_5960


I am linking up to Transformation Thursday at the Shabby Chic Cottage.

I am adding this project to Shanty 2 Chic’s Rust-Oleum Revamp party.


Shanty 2 Chic

27 comments:

Dayka Robinson said...

You are super creative! I like what you've done. :)

Kimberly said...

Very VERY cool!! So glad I found your blog!! I love your ideas! Happy Holidays!

Dreams of Perfection said...

I need more plates for a plate wall I am doing. This looks like it will be in my future. To easy & affordable!

Janna said...

I think this turned out so cute! I have got to get to the Dollar Tree..

Delchick42 said...

Hi Annette. Thanks for visiting my blog. The wassail is soooo good lol. I love the plate idea! You can do so much with spary paint can't you? It's amazing stuff. thanks for sharing.

KimMalk said...

I like the plate, even with the crooked letters! This is a cute idea.
@cheapchichome.blogspot.com

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

very pretty! thanks for all the tips!
gail

Anonymous said...

I love the plate Annette! Sorry it was such a pain to work with but hooray for your persistence!

blessings
mary

Jeanne said...

Looks Beautiful!

Room to Inspire said...

The plate looks great and I love that you kept going! I haven't used that color spray paint, but after seeing it here - I am in.

Chelsea

Jane said...

Very pretty! I don't mind crooked letters at all. The message is still clear!

trish said...

That is so creative!
And I love the words you chose!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Elder Esplin said...

How cute! I like that! Great job!

Rhonda said...

What a cute plate! Love the color of the plate too!

Runner Mom said...

Great job! I love this! I'll have to see if our dollar tree carries them.

Perfect scripture for this season!
Hugs!
Susan

Runner Mom said...

BTW, where did you get the vinyl letters??? Thanks!!

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Way to go Annette! Love it!!
~Whitney

Hautemocha7 said...

Very Nice!! Super creative.

Hautemocha7 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hautemocha7 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dayka Robinson said...

Where are you? Come back! :) Hope all is well.

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Hey lady

I just wanted to check and make sure everything is alright with you

If it is...then get back to blogging!!

But if it isn't...then I pray that things get better.

hope to hear from you soon!

Mayhem and Moxie said...

This is utterly fantastic, Annette. I seriously don't know how you manage to continually come up with such great projects.

Reading your site really inspires me...even though I am desperately craft-challenged. :)

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

oh i just love this spray! I painted my sister's chandelier this color for the bottom coat. You did a great job!

Janet said...

Hey!

You don't know me(I'm actually a lurker of your blog), but I haven't seen any updates from you in awhile and am wondering if everything's okay! I hope so..check in if you can! :)

Dreams of Perfection said...

Just wanted to stop by and let you know I am hoping everythinhg is going good in your part of the woods. Waiting for you to come back to blog land!

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Hey girl! Is everything okay?! I hope so. Just wanted to check on you!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin