I unscrewed the plates from the wall and spray painted them (including the screws) with two coats of Rustoleum Universal Hammered Paint in Brown. After they were dry, I finished them off by spraying a very light coat of clear topcoat on them to protect the finish from scratches.
The results: It has been over two months now that I completed this project and they have held up well. I noticed a very small nick in the paint on the most used switch in the breakfast nook area, so I will probably take it down and add a heavier clear topcoat to it.
But all in all this was a very easy and inexpensive update to my plain and boring switch plates.
Linking up to Amanda's Decorating Dilemmas @ Serenity Now and Kimba's DIY Day @ A Soft Place To Land . Check them out!