Monday, August 31, 2009

DIY Matted Art


After seeing similar framed crosses and sculptural pieces at Garden Ridge for over $50 for smaller sizes, I set out to make my own custom version. I found these large frames with a 21 x 27 opening at Hobby Lobby on clearance a few years ago. I also purchased the crosses, matboard, scrapbook paper and ribbon at Hobby Lobby during various 50% and clearance sales.


I then purchased this mat cutter at Joann's with a 40% off coupon. This was my first time ever cutting my own mat for an art project and it was actually very easy to do. I just followed the simple instructions that came with the cutter and I cut a perfect mat each time I used it. I completed this project before I started blogging, so I don't have any detailed pictures. But I will be using this mat cutter to create a family photo wall in my hallway and I will detail just how easy it is to use the cutter. So if you have a lot of pictures to mat, this $15.50 (including a 40% discount coupon) investment will be well worth it.



I then used some brown metallic craft paint I had on hand to antique the scrapbook paper and I assembled the scrapbook paper and the mat on adhesive foam board and stapled it to the back of the frame along with the ribbon holding the crosses in place.

I am linking up to Kimba's DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land. Be sure to check it out.



EDITED TO ADD: I am attending my very first A DIY Show Off Party! And it is a surprise party! Visit the A DIY Show Off - Show & Tell Surprise Party for more great DIY Home accents.



9 comments:

Sara said...

Very pretty! I've always been intimidated by the idea of cutting my own matte, but I may have to give it a shot after seeing your pretty project.

randee said...

those are beautiful!

arkie said...

You did a great job!

LukesLove said...

Wow! Love those kinds of projects that look like the original for lots less!!

Let it Shine said...

They look gorgeous!!

Shanty 2 Chic said...

These turned out beautiful! Great job!
`Whitney

Let it Shine said...

It was SO nice to meet you (in real life). I am excited to have a new bloggy friend that I have shook hands with :) And I will tell you about any amazing deals, stores, sales, etc that I know of going on around here!

And the crosses are gorgeous and my Mom just LOVED them. (Know what she is getting for Christmas :))

artisticblend said...

Very beautiful! I love the warm colors. Great job!

Roeshel said...

You did an amazing job! Beautiful. I love it!

Thanks for adding your inspirational project to the DIY Show & Tell! :)

Roeshel

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin